March 4, 2023 | 7:37
Prince Harry and Meghan Markle will seek to recoup the $2.8million they spent revamping Frogmore Cottage, according to a royal expert.
Prince Harry and Meghan Markle will seek to recoup the $2.8million they spent revamping Frogmore Cottage now that it no longer belongs to them, according to a royal expert.
The Duke and Duchess of Sussex have received some sort of eviction notice by King Charles, who had asked the couple to “vacate” the property.
Harry and Meghan are said to have been “stunned” by the order disguised as a request, and will now seek a large refund to hit their accounts.
“I’m sure it will be something the bean counters at Buckingham Palace would have taken into account,” Sunday Times royal editor Roya Nikkhah told True Royalty TV’s ‘The Royal Beat’.
“I don’t think Buckingham Palace would give them notice, kick them out and be unaware that there is a certain period left on the lease. Harry and Meghan renewed the lease last year, and I’m sure they’ll be looking to get that money back.
“I don’t think that will be a problem – it’s more a question of optics,” she continued, adding that it “implies that the king doesn’t care about the optics of this decision.”
“It’s his decision; he does and has done it,” Nikkhah added.
King Charles launched the process to evict the lavish five-bedroom property in January – just a day after Harry’s bombshell memoir ‘Spare’ hit the shelves.
The exiled royal family received the home from the late Queen Elizabeth II, who died in September aged 96, as a wedding gift.
They are said to have paid five months’ rent for the house after stepping down from the royal family in March 2020, before shelling out a total of $3.3 million to cover the costs, licensing the house as theirs until March 31 2022.
“The payment covers all their current obligations,” confirmed Sir Michael Stevens, Keeper of the Privy Purse, in 2021. “We are confident this represents a good outcome.”
“The Duke and Duchess of Sussex made a substantial contribution to the Sovereign Grant which covered the costs of refurbishing Frogmore Cottage.”
The former “Suits” actress and Harry now reside at their $14 million mansion in Montecito, Calif., with Archie, 3, and daughter Lilibet, one.
The house has remained in the family since the Sussexes crossed the pond.
Princess Eugenie and her husband Jack Brooksbank have lived in Frogmore since November 2020, but will now have to hand over to Father Andrew, scarred by Eugenie’s scandal.
For his part, Andrew was recently given the boot of Buckingham Palace and is considering another potential eviction from Royal Lodge – a residence on the grounds of Windsor Castle.
The Post has contacted Buckingham Palace for comment.