London (CNN) The Duke and Duchess of Sussex have been asked to leave Frogmore Cottage, the couple’s official UK residence, their spokesperson told CNN on Wednesday.
“We can confirm that the Duke and Duchess of Sussex have been asked to vacate their residence at Frogmore Cottage,” the spokesperson said.
The statement followed a report by British newspaper The Sun which claimed the couple were being evicted from the property, which is Crown Estate, and had since been gifted to Prince Andrew, one of the king’s brothers Charles III.
Buckingham Palace said on Wednesday it would not comment. A royal source told CNN that such talks would be a private family matter.
Prince Harry and Meghan now reside in the US, but had kept the early 19th century property as their UK base. Gifted to the Sussexes by the late Queen Elizabeth II, the cottage is tucked away in a corner of Windsor Estate, west London.
They renovated the property and moved in shortly before their son Archie arrived in May 2019. However, the renovation sparked controversy after the couple retired from public life and it emerged that 2.4 million pounds (about $3 million) of British taxpayers’ money had been used on renovations to the chalet. They have since repaid public money following their move to California.
Works including the removal of a chimney, finishing of the roof, new stairs, installation of chimneys and a new ‘floating’ wooden floor have been detailed in planning application documents to the local council. The cost of all fittings, fittings and furniture was paid for privately by the Duke and Duchess.
The Sussexes stayed at the property when they returned to the UK last year, including when they attended the Queen’s Platinum Jubilee celebrations over the summer.
Prince Andrew currently resides near the Royal Lodge on the Windsor Estate. The Duke of York also stepped back from royal duties in 2019 after a disastrous interview about his friendship with disgraced financier Jeffrey Epstein threw the family into unprecedented crisis.
According to The Sun, the couple were said to have been asked to leave the property days after Harry’s memoir ‘Spare’ was published in January.
The 38-year-old royal held back almost nothing as he dismantled the public perception that he was the fun and carefree party prince, and immersed himself in the devastating impact of his mother’s death, his experimentation drugs as a method of coping with grief and her difficulties in finding love.
Buckingham Palace has repeatedly declined to comment on the memoir.
The autobiography followed a six-part Netflix documentary the couple released last year and a bombshell interview with Oprah Winfrey in 2021. They alleged there were ‘concerns’ in the royal family over the Archie’s skin color, detailed feelings of being “trapped” and said Meghan had suicidal thoughts during her first pregnancy.