By Sophie Haslett for Daily Mail Australia
00:22 07 Mar 2023, update 02:11 07 Mar 2023
- Divya Rallabhandi went through Sydney personal trainer Rachael Attard’s program
- Ditch the pizzas and beer for healthy meals loaded with veggies and complex carbs
- Follows the 80/20 approach to the diet to ensure she always eats what she loves
A woman who used to eat pizza and beer to go has revealed how she lost nearly six pounds in nine months by following a personal trainer’s guide.
Divya Rallabhandi, 33, from the United States, was not overweight at 60 kilos when she started Sydney trainer Rachael Attard’s Lean Legs program, but she was carrying excess weight around her midsection which was due to his take-out lifestyle.
A few months later, Divya managed to get rid of excess fat and slim her abdomen, and now she weighs 54.4 kilograms.
The 33-year-old explained that she swears by the 80/20 approach to her diet, in which she eats healthy 80% of the time and allows herself a little of what she likes the other 20%.
According to Divya, although she was never particularly unhealthy, she had a few bad eating habits:
“I used to indulge in unhealthy foods like beer and pizza too often,” Divya told FEMAIL.
“Those are the first things to do. Now I only have it occasionally, once every two months or so – and I don’t even want to anymore.
The 33-year-old replaced her heavy booze and carbs with foods like dahl, fruits, nuts and lots of vegetables.
A typical day on his plate now includes breakfast consisting of two slices of toast with butter, cream cheese, Nutella, and banana or eggs, and lunch consisting of half a cup of dahl with vegetables and a piece of chocolate.
“My evening snacks are fruit, nuts or sometimes a handful of crisps,” Divya said.
“While dinner is Indian wheat bread called roti with vegetables or cottage cheese.”
Alongside her new healthy diet, Divya said she’s working out five days a week, which includes 45 minutes of low-intensity cardio like walking and then some weight training.
“I train my upper body three days a week following Rachael’s program videos, then I do abs and lower body the other days,” she said.
“I think the most important thing is to be consistent and find a program that you really enjoy doing.”
Divya said she also makes sure to push herself every once in a while with her workouts, so she’s “constantly growing”.
“I learned doing all of this that crash diets aren’t good either,” she said.
“You need to eat in moderation and find a long-term sustainable meal plan. Eating 1-2 cheat meals a week when you train regularly is no reason to feel guilty.
Divya isn’t the only fan of Rachael Attard’s workout routine.
Sydney’s personal trainer is responsible for transforming the bodies of thousands of people around the world with her program.
One of Rachael’s best tips is that you should walk and aim for 10,000 steps every day.
“I advise my clients to walk at least three times a week and aim for 10,000 steps each time,” Rachael said.
“I know that sounds like a lot, but you don’t have to do it all at once. You can divide this number of steps throughout the day.
The PT recommends that you cut back on activities such as bicycling, sprinting, or running uphill because they can enlarge your thigh muscles in the long run.
She also tries to take between 8,000 and 10,000 steps each day in order to stay in shape.
What does your body type say about how you should train?
Ectomorphs are usually naturally thin (like Victoria’s Secret models) and they struggle to build muscle.
If you’re an ectomorph body type, you probably already have naturally slimmer legs. So your goal here is to maintain (or maybe lose some stubborn body fat in your lower body) while building lean muscle.
This way your leg will have tone and definition and you will avoid the skinny and fat look.
Mesomorphs can be quite athletic and respond quickly to exercise, which means they build muscle easily.
They can lose weight very quickly, but can also gain it quickly. Generally, they are medium in size.
If you’re a mesomorph, too many workouts like squats and lunges can easily lead to bulky legs. So your goal here is to reduce body fat percentage and avoid exercises that will bulk up your legs in the process.
Endomorphs naturally have a strong build and a wider frame. They can build muscle very quickly and it is slightly more difficult for them to lose weight. But it is not impossible !
If you’re an endomorph body type, your goal is to really focus on reducing overall body fat and completely avoid any workouts that could make you fat.